There’s no denying that getting a good shot of your toddler can be quite a struggle. Not only are they always moving around but if you happen to catch them on a bad day, there’s almost no way that you’re going to get them to look at the camera.
If you’re working with a professional to capture a few shots of your little one, here are a few tips that will help make the photo session go as smoothly as possible:
- Review your expectations.While a professional photographer does have more experience working with young children, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to get perfectly posed shots every time. Sometimes, you simply have to embrace the fact that your toddler is busy and energetic and that your photographer will be working with that fact to get you the best possible shots.
- Make sure they are rested.A tired toddler is an uncooperative toddler so make sure that they’ve had a nap before the shoot.
- Bring a few props along. Sometimes the best way to get your child to sit still is to give them something to do with their hands. Bring some of their favorite books and toys along that can be used during your shoot.
- Bring a few different outfits.If you’ll be shooting outside, have a few extra outfits ready to go should your child fall or spill something on their clothes. Being prepared with wet wipes is also always a great idea.
- Interact with your child.Help your photographer out by engaging with your child during the shoot. Sometimes calling their name will give the photographer those precious few seconds to capture their face as they look up. Your photographer will, however, guide you on what you should and shouldn’t do.
Remember, when you’re trying to photograph a toddler, patience is key. Your photographer will, however, be able to guide you during the session to ensure that you walk away with the best possible shots of your little one.