Not everyone feels comfortable in front of a camera and this generally leads to forced smiles, something that can easily ruin a really good family photo.
If you have recently booked a photographer to shoot your next family portrait, here are some top tips for getting everyone to smile as authentically as possible.
- Get them laughing.Get someone to tell a great joke or a funny story to get everyone laughing, which will produce some real genuine smiles.
- Look at each other. Sometimes all it takes is looking at the people you love to achieve the perfect smiles for your next family photo.
- Forget the cheese.Instead of using the classic ‘say cheese’ line, incorporate something unexpected into the sentence to elicit smiles and laughter. Using the word ‘money’ instead of cheese also produces a more natural smile.
- Take a breath.If you have people who are really nervous, get them to close their eyes, take a deep breath and smile as they open their eyes again.
- Give them a compliment.A compliment makes anyone feel good so why not give each other a genuine compliment to produce some natural smiles.
- Fake your laughter.While it may feel strange at first, getting everyone to fake a laugh leads to some of the best smiles.
- Be silly.Get everyone to stick their tongues out or wiggle their bums for a fun reaction.
- Happy thoughts.Get everyone to think of something that really makes them happy.
- Relax those facial muscles.Very often a forced smile is due to tense facial muscles. To prevent this, get everyone to scrunch up their faces and relax them to achieve a natural smile.
Overall, make this a fun day out for everyone to set the right mood and the genuine, happy smiles will follow.