Family photo sessions are great fun but deciding what everyone should wear so that they’re comfortable and happy and that your photos look great can be a whole other mission.
If you’re unsure about what you should be wearing to your session, here are the types outfits that you should avoid at all costs:
- Matchy-matchy. The days of wearing matching outfits are long gone. There are many other ways to still coordinate your outfits without them all being the same. Incorporating various shades of the same color without it being the exact same item of clothing is one such option.
- Bold patterns and logos.Wearing clothing that has logos or boasts bold patterns is one way to distract from everyone in the family photo. While patterns are fine, make sure that they’re subtle. It’s best to stay away from logos and characters completely.
- Short sleeves and pants.Family portraits always look better when you aren’t exposing too much skin as this once again distracts from people’s faces in the photo. Depending on the style of your shoot and the location, try and keep exposed areas to a minimum and try to avoid shorts.
- Bold accessories. While it’s perfectly fine to wear accessories to a family photo session, make sure that they’re subtle and won’t distract from the main subjects in the photo. Chandelier earrings and large, heavy necklaces are always a no-no.
- Uncomfortable clothing. When you’re uncomfortable in your clothing, it shows up in your photos. While you may love the new dress you bought or your son looks super cute in his new hat, if you aren’t 100% comfortable and fidgeting, it’s best to choose something else.
- Pops of color are great but neon clothing will almost always affect your skin tone and your photos so it’s best to stay away from these types of items completely.
- All white or black.When you wear an outfit that is all white or all black, you tend to lose a lot of detail in the photo that clothing would normally bring in. Wearing neutral tones is fine but try to mix it up with a different color.
Most importantly, to avoid any additional stress during the days leading up to your family photo session, plan ahead so that everyone can fully enjoy themselves on the day.
Visit Third Eye Photography
Lifestyle photography is so beautiful because it’s real.
It captures those raw, everyday moments that stick in the back of your mind and make you smile.
At-home lifestyle photography sessions have become a very popular choice amongst families and if you’ve recently booked your very own session, here are a few tips that you can use to make the most of your time with your photographer.
- Let the light in.Since you will be shooting indoors, let as much natural light into your home as possible in order to achieve exceptional photos.
- Keep it tidy.While your home doesn’t need to be free of every speck of dust, it’s important to tidy up the rooms that you will be using the most. Don’t go overboard though; the point of a lifestyle session is to actually capture you and your family in your home as you experience it.
- Incorporate activities.Lifestyle sessions are all about natural, candid shots and if you’re feeling a bit nervous about just winging it, line up a few activities for you and your kids so that you’ll have something to do during your session. You can just let things flow from there.
- Plan your outfits.Just because you will be at home, doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t plan what you’re going to wear. Decide on the types of photos that you would like to capture and choose your outfits accordingly. Even if you’re opting for your PJs, make sure that they’re not too busy and that you’re not wearing the socks with the holes.
- Let your kids take the lead.If you do have young kids in the house, sometimes it’s best to just let them take the lead and you can jump in and have fun with them where it seems most natural.
- Move outside the living room.When people think lifestyle sessions, they very often set everything up in the living room but if you really want to get a wide variety of shots, don’t discount the bedroom and the kitchen as these can make for some great backdrops too.
You will always get the very best lifestyle photos when you relax and have fun. Your photographer will be there to guide you so just focus on taking it all in and making some memories with your beautiful family.
Visit Third Eye Photography to book your next session.